A Day in the Life

Life is ever evolving and one of the things I'm currently working on is finding a schedule to balance out married life, Lorenzo the bunny puppy, and time for me to do the things I want/need to do.  So far...unsuccessful.  But, it's a work in progress!

Before marriage, I had a long standing schedule of waking up early between 4-5am to work out, got into the office around 7am, worked until 4:30-6pm depending on the day, and spent evenings with friends, the (now) hubs, or much needed quiet time.  When I moved into our home I still woke up between 4-4:30am to leave for work at 5:30ish and most of the day remained the same except I had to figure out a work out on various evenings.  Those were stressful, long days.

Now...enter in marriage and I've opted to quit my beloved job to focus on the home plus had a puppy thrown into the immediate mix because he was a wedding gift.  Little nugget.  I picked him up on May 1st so we're just over two weeks of having him home with us and working on our routine.

I'm linking up today for Girl Chat with EmilyLindsayLizzieSierra, and Danielle to share a day in my life.

In January we shared an introduction.

In February we shared how we stay organized.

In March we shared Easter basket ideas.

I missed April's because I was getting married and on our honeymoon!

girlchat2018 cover image.png

1. Sometime between 5:30-7am I wake up for Lorenzo.  Hopefully as he sleeps longer, I can wake up at 5am for myself to do bible study and work out before he needs me.  But, currently his average wake up time is 6:30 so that hasn't worked out well.  #goals





2. Once I've gotten Lorenzo to potty on the potty pad (God willing), I peel myself off the floor holding my aching back and hobble over to the Keurig to make myself some much needed coffee.  If I have time, if the hubby wants breakfast, or if I need to prep something for him to take for lunch I will do that while Lorenzo sits at my feet or terrorizes the house.

This morning I sauteed and seasoned some ground turkey to add to the rosemary chicken gravy and rice left over from Mother's Day lunch (Mammaw's recipe) that he took to work for lunch today.

The picture below is one morning last week when I cooked up some broccoli and cauliflower "rice" to add to some left over steak he was taking to lunch.  I added in some nice aged cheese, olives, and tomatoes for his lunch too.  The Trader Joe's spice was a nice touch.

We try to use these lunch containers: Rubbermaid Balance Meal Kit or the Bentgo Fresh lunch box

3.  After telling the hubs goodbye, Lorenzo and I head out for his morning walk to the mailbox.  We've recently upped the distance from one mile to two miles because he liked to come back to the house to run rampant in the yard after our one mile walk, but as I'm trying to shift our schedule to an earlier departure we're finding the sun hasn't reached the grass in the yard yet so it's much too wet for his tiny little legs.  A wet puppy in the grass means a dirty puppy and we've had four baths in two weeks.  He's not a fan of baths.  So, we're saving back yard play time for the afternoons or at least when the grass is dry.


4.  After our walk, Lorenzo will play and eat a little and bask in the sun. 


Then I'll shower and get ready (if I'm not going to the gym).  He sits at my feet everywhere, all the time, which is cute but a pain.


5.  He is usually super tired by this point and needing to sleep like all puppies do, so I have learned to put him in his crate in the bedroom with the TV on and he'll sleep for 3-4 hours until I get him out out of fear he may need to go potty.  

This is when I have time to go to the gym or Orange Theory, run errands or have lunch with a friend, cook, blog, or clean.  It hasn't been much time yet but will get better.  I just know it.

Yesterday I did three loads of laundry, went to the gym for a little over an hour which was glorious because I got to run and read on the treadmill as well as do weights and I felt like ME again, and then came back and did some bible study time that I didn't manage to in the morning.  The book I just started is by Gary Thomas called "Loving Him Well".  


6.  After about four hours of nap time, I wake Lorenzo up to go potty outside and play a little bit in the yard.


7.  After our outside time, we come back in and I get back to work either tackling my to-do list, blogging, or cooking.  Yesterday I did all three.  It was a good day.  This hasn't happened before but I trust the pattern will continue into a routine.

I made Mammaw's meatloaf (recipe coming soon - not Paleo or Whole 30 friendly) for dinner and put it in the fridge until it was time to take it out to bake it for dinner.   I also whipped up some cookies I'll affectionately call "kitchen sink" cookies.  I didn't measure ANYTHING and threw in some pumpkin puree, unsweetened coconut, oatmeal, honey, monk fruit, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and Enjoy Life chocolate chips.

I got back to working on my Houston Wedding Vendors post that you'll see next week while Lorenzo ran around the house to play.


8.   This stud comes home from work around 5:30 or so usually and continues working (it never stops), plays with Lorenzo, and works out.  Depending on our plans we either eat at home, go out to dinner, or have dinner plans.

Watering flowers while on a work call and Lorenzo and I watch and play.

Watering flowers while on a work call and Lorenzo and I watch and play.

9. On a normal day we play a little with Lorenzo before getting ready for bed.  However, yesterday (Monday), I had the evening to myself to finish up the Houston Wedding Vendors post while the hubs went to a Rocket's game.  My uncle popped by to pick up half of the giant meatloaf and cookies I made.


10.  Bedtime!  We're all exhausted by this point and ready to call it a day.  What a day it had been.  I was out fast and heavy.


**Note - these pictures were taken over various days last week, hence the different outfits.  I am terrible at snapping pics all day long for this post.

What is a typical day in your life?  What types of things do you accomplish at home or while at work?  I am surprised how much I used to be able to get done during or after a work day when now the time passes so quickly I can't seem to get it all done.  It's shocking really!

Wishing you all a wonderful day ahead friends.  One more day until Friday and the weekend.