Summer time means summer fun, summer heat, and summer traveling. Sometimes it means you get more downtime from work or school, but sometimes it means you have even less time. Or maybe it feels like less time because it is SO-STINKING-HOT outside that every little effort I exert to do anything drains me. I was not meant to live in the heat. No, in fact I was not meant to. I am quite sure of this. One way that I escape the heat outside is by enjoying the beautiful invention called air conditioning. Praise be to our good Lord for providing us with a/c. How our ancestors lived without it is beyond me. Between global warming and El Nino, I am convinced we are back sliding into a hellacious vortex of torture each year.
Sounds pretty bad, right? Well, the good thing is that there are some easy ways to stay entertained or learn while enjoying our blessed a/c. I'm linking up with Erin to share 10 of my favorite books, podcasts, or shows to watch. So far we have shared: 10 favorite places to travel, 10 things motherhood has taught me, 10 Spring Cleaning Tips and 10 Items in my Car.
I'm going to list mine as FIVE things instead of TEN because I am going to list multiple in each of the five points!
1. Marriage books: The Meaning of Marriage, Love and Respect, The 5 Love Languages, The Language of Love and Respect, Now You're Speaking my Language, Making Marriage Work, Sacred Marriage, The Four Seasons of Marriage, and Hedges - Loving Your Marriage Enough to Protect it. There are tons of other great ones that I have read and would suggest but these remain my top choices that encompass most everything other Christian marriage books provide. They're good for dating as well. You do not have to be married to read these books...I wasn't when I read them!
2. Self help books: Attached, Get Out of that Pit, Breaking Free, Power Thoughts, Keep it Shut, Breaking Up with Perfect, Anything - The Prayer that Unlocked my God and my Soul, The Battle Plan for Prayer, Surprised by Motherhood. Gosh...I could go on and on in this category too but will pause to spare you. I will say that I'm not sure if Kisses from Katie falls into this category of self help, but it is a non-fiction EYE OPENER that will really make you think about life and what you're prioritizing.
**You can check out the category above titled "books" that will list out these and other self help for you or your relationship that I have read and have loved. Email me with any questions.
3. Fiction books: I love me some Emily Giffin (all of her books), Firefly Lane, What Alice Forgot, The Bridal Quartet, Pride and Prejudice, The Light We Lost, and Nancy Thayer's Christmas books (because Christmas!). I've been an avid reader all of my life but these are the more recent ones that come to mind.
4. Podcasts: Marriage Today by Jimmy & Karen Evans, Joyce Meyer, Hope City, and Breakaway Ministries. I feel like I reference these frequently in my What's Up Wednesday posts so I won't go into detail about them other than they lift my spirits, connect me with God, and remind me what my purpose is.
5. Shows: I am rather boring in this area as I don't watch much TV. I love The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. I haven't tried watching any other new shows, but if I could ever catch Ellen, I definitely would. I keep the TV on HGTV most of the time or turn it to re-runs of Seinfeld, Friends, or Sex and the City. Those are all easy to keep on when I'm not sitting down to watch and need to focus on other things.
What are some of your favorites that you can share? I am definitely interesting in suggestions for all three categories so I can shift my focus a bit from the pile of books I have awaiting me currently. I am trying to mix in new categories so that I am not 100% focused on the same topic to prevent it from feeling repetitive in hopes that when I pick up the next book I will find something refreshing!
Wishing you all a wonderful Tuesday, dear friends!